Agence France Presse
Latest stories
Taiwan says is an 'independent' nation, after Trump's warning

Taiwan said Saturday it is an "independent" nation, hours after U.S. President Donald Trump warned the democratic island against declaring formal independence.

W140 Full Story
Israel strikes south Lebanon day after ceasefire extension

Israel launched new airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, a day after the two states agreed to extend a truce following talks in Washington.

W140 Full Story
Lebanon, Israel ceasefire extended by 45 days

Lebanon and Israel on Friday extended a ceasefire for 45 days, despite a new flareup in violence, the U.S. State Department said after mediating talks.

"The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress," State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said.

W140 Full Story
Lebanon delegation says truce extension, security track open path to 'lasting stability'

Lebanon's negotiating delegation in Washington said on Friday that the extension of the truce with Israel and the establishment of a U.S.-facilitated security track pave the way for "lasting stability".

The truce in the Israel-Hezbollah war was extended for 45 days following the third round of negotiations between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington.

W140 Full Story
Israel says targeted head of Hamas armed wing in Gaza strike

Israel said on Friday that it carried out a strike in Gaza targeting Ezzedine Al-Haddad, who it described as chief of the armed wing of Palestinian movement Hamas.

Since Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, the Israeli military and intelligence services have waged an extensive campaign targeting the group's senior political leaders and militant commanders in Gaza and across the region.

W140 Full Story
UN says Lebanon-Israel talks 'critical opportunity' to end war

The United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon said on Friday that talks between Lebanon and Israel offer a "critical opportunity" to end the Israel-Hezbollah war.

"Diplomatic efforts now offer a critical opportunity to stop the violence," Imran Riza said in a statement, adding that he hoped "ongoing negotiations will pave the way toward a political solution".

W140 Full Story
Hezbollah attacks Israeli barracks as strikes hit Tyre, kill 3 paramedics in Harouf

An Israeli strike hit a building in the southern Lebanese city of Tyre on Friday after an evacuation warning, state media reported, despite an extension in the truce between Israel and Hezbollah.

Israel's military had called on residents of several buildings in Tyre to immediately evacuate ahead of planned strikes in the area.

W140 Full Story
Salam says country has had enough 'reckless' wars for foreign interests

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam on Friday said his country had enough "reckless" wars for foreign interests, calling for Arab and international support in Beirut's negotiations with Israel.

Speaking at an NGO dinner, Salam said that he hoped to "mobilize all Arab and international support to bolster our position in the negotiations" with Israel, shortly after the last round of talks ended and extended the ongoing truce for 45 days.

W140 Full Story
Iran FM says 'received messages' from US saying willing to continue talks

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday his government had received messages from the United States indicating that President Donald Trump's administration was open to continuing talks aimed at ending the Middle East war.

"What was said that the United States rejected Iran's proposal or Iran's response to the American proposal was a few days ago, when Mr Trump tweeted and said that it was unacceptable," Araghchi told reporters in the Indian capital.

W140 Full Story
Israel kills 15-year-old teen in West Bank for throwing stones

The Palestinian Authority said Friday that a 15-year-old was killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank, while the Israeli army said he had been throwing stones at Israeli cars on a road.

The authority's health ministry said it had been informed of the killing of Fahd Zidan Oweis. He was "shot dead by the (Israeli) forces at dawn today in the town of Al-Lubban al-Sharqiyya in the Nablus governorate. His body has been withheld," it said.

W140 Full Story