Middle East
Latest stories
29 killed in Israeli strikes near Gaza hospital

Gaza's civil defense agency said 29 people were killed on Friday in Israeli strikes near the Kamal Adwan hospital in the northern Gaza city of Beit Lahia, where Israel is pressing a major offensive.

"At least 29 people were killed and dozens were wounded in the northern Gaza Strip since dawn on Friday as a result of the continuing Israeli shelling around Kamal Adwan hospital," said civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal.

W140 Full Story
Monitor report that Syria troops withdrew from Homs denied by ministry

A war monitor said Syrian government troops pulled out of the central city of Homs on Friday in the face of an Islamist-led rebel offensive, but the defense ministry denied the report.

"Syrian soldiers have withdrawn from Homs city towards its outskirts," said Rami Abdel Rahman of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor. The ministry later said "there is no truth to news... about the army withdrawing from Homs".

W140 Full Story
Israel military 'reinforcing' troops in occupied Golan amid Syria conflict

The Israeli military said Friday it was "reinforcing aerial and ground forces" in the occupied Golan Heights in response to sweeping Islamist-led rebel advances in Syria.

In a statement, the military said it was "monitoring developments and is prepared for all scenarios, offensive and defensive alike", adding that it "will not tolerate any threat near the Israeli border".

W140 Full Story
Syria Kurdish-led force chief says open to talks with Islamist rebels

The commander of a Kurdish-led force in Syria said Friday he was open to talks with Turkey and Islamist-led rebels, whose offensive had created a "new political and military reality".

"We want to de-escalate with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and other parties and to solve our problems through dialogue" including with Turkey, Mazloum Abdi, who heads the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) that controls swathes of northeast Syria, told reporters. "We were surprised to see the sudden and rapid collapse of Syrian government forces on the frontlines as factions took control of large areas, imposing a new political and military reality," he added.

W140 Full Story
Syria government forces withdraw from eastern city of Deir Ezzor

Syrian troops and their Iran-backed allies "suddenly" pulled out of eastern Deir Ezzor city and its surroundings Friday, a war monitor said, as a rebel offensive dealt the government a series of stunning blows.

"Syrian regime forces and commanders of Iran-backed allied groups suddenly withdrew from Deir Ezzor city and its countryside with columns of soldiers heading towards central Syria," Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor, told AFP.

W140 Full Story
Negotiations on Gaza ceasefire have resumed, Hamas confirms

A Hamas official says international mediators have resumed negotiating with the militant group and Israel over a ceasefire in Gaza, and that he was hopeful a deal to end the 14-month war was within reach.

Ceasefire negotiations were halted last month when Qatar suspended talks with mediators from Egypt and the United States because of frustration over a lack of progress between Israel and Hamas. But there has been a “reactivation” of efforts in recent days to end the fighting, release hostages from Gaza and free Palestinian prisoners in Israel, according to Bassem Naim, an official in Hamas’ political bureau who spoke with The Associated Press in Turkey on Thursday.

W140 Full Story
Why the rebel capture of Syria's Hama, a city with a dark history, matters

It was one of the darkest moments in the modern history of the Arab world. More than four decades ago, Hafez Assad, then president of Syria, launched what came to be known as the Hama Massacre.

Between 10,000 to 40,000 people were killed or disappeared in the government attack on the central Syrian city. It began on Feb. 2, 1982, and lasted for nearly a month, leaving the city in ruins.

W140 Full Story
Trump envoy visits Mideast for high-level talks on reaching Gaza ceasefire

President-elect Donald Trump's incoming Middle East envoy recently visited Israel and Qatar for high-level talks on landing a ceasefire and hostage deal in Gaza, a U.S. official said Thursday.

Steve Witkoff, who was tapped by Trump to serve as his special envoy to the region, met separately in recent weeks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Qatar's Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, according to the official, who was not authorized to comment publicly about the sensitive talks and spoke on condition of anonymity.

W140 Full Story
Israel says struck Hezbollah 'smuggling route' on Syria-Lebanon border

Israel’s army said Friday it had conducted air strikes on Hezbollah "weapon-smuggling routes" on the Syria-Lebanon border, just over a week into a fragile ceasefire in Lebanon.

The Israeli air force "conducted strikes on weapon-smuggling routes and terror infrastructure sites located near the Syrian regime’s crossings at the Syrian-Lebanese border", the military said in a statement that included a map identifying the crossing as Al-Arida.

W140 Full Story
Syria Islamist rebel leader says goal is to 'overthrow' Assad

The leader of an Islamist rebel alliance driving a lightning offensive in Syria has said the goal of the campaign is to overthrow the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

"When we talk about objectives, the goal of the revolution remains the overthrow of this regime. It is our right to use all available means to achieve that goal," Abu Mohammed al-Jolani told CNN in an interview published Friday.

W140 Full Story