Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati said U.S. envoy Amos Hochstein had signalled during a phone call Wednesday that a ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war was possible before U.S. elections are held on November 5.
"The call today with Hochstein suggested to me that perhaps we could reach a ceasefire in the coming days, before the fifth" of November, Mikati said in a televised interview with Lebanese broadcaster Al-Jadeed.

U.S. President Joe Biden met Wednesday with the president of Cyprus, the nearest European Union nation to the wars in Gaza and Lebanon, to discuss new cease-fire efforts by the U.S. and mediators in the Middle East.
The small Mediterranean island has played a critical role in efforts to get humanitarian aid into Gaza since the war between Hamas and Israel began more than a year ago.

Hezbollah has informed the relevant parties, specifically Speaker Nabih Berri, who is tasked with negotiating with U.S. envoy Amos Hochstein, that it agrees to a 60-day truce in Lebanon and a full and comprehensive implementation of Resolution 1701, MTV reported Wednesday evening.

The United States and other mediators are ramping up efforts to halt the wars in Lebanon and the Gaza Strip, circulating new proposals to wind down the regional conflict during the Biden administration's final months.
Negotiations on both fronts have been stalled for months and none of the warring parties have shown any sign of backing down from their demands.

Hezbollah's new leader, Sheikh Naim Qassem, on Wednesday warned Israel it would pay a heavy price if its forces remain in Lebanon, stressing his group was ready for a prolonged conflict.

The Israeli army pounded Wednesday the southern city of Nabatieh, after urging residents to leave the city and nearby villages, warning it was poised to attack Hezbollah targetsattacks.
"Hezbollah's terrorist activities force the (Israeli army) to act forcefully against it in these areas", military spokesman Avichay Adraee said in a post on X, with Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reporting strikes had already begun on the city of Nabatieh.

Former U.S. president and current Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has addressed a letter to the Lebanese-American community in the United States, just six days prior to the U.S. presidential vote.

“There is no Hezbollah and Iran — there’s just Iran,” Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea has said in an interview with U.S. news portal POLITICO, adding that “for Tehran, there are no borders between Iran, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria, no frontiers.”

Israel's security cabinet is discussing the terms of a truce with Hezbollah in south Lebanon, where Israeli troops are conducting a ground offensive, Energy Minister Eli Cohen said on Wednesday.
"There are discussions, I think it will still take time," Cohen told Israeli public radio.

Ayman Jaber's memories are rooted in every corner of Mhaibib, the village in southern Lebanon he refers to as his "habibti," the Arabic word for "beloved." The root of the village's name means "the lover" or "the beloved."
Reminiscing about his childhood sweetheart, the 45-year-old avionics technician talks about how the young pair would meet in a courtyard near his uncle's house.
