Agence France Presse
Latest stories
Iran's top negotiator warns Tehran 'not even started' in Hormuz standoff

Iran's powerful chief negotiator warned the United States against any further escalation in the Strait of Hormuz, after a spate of attacks risked reigniting the Middle East war.

W140 Full Story
Iran says had 'no pre-planned program' to attack UAE

Iran had "no pre-planned programme" to attack oil facilities in the United Arab Emirates, Iranian state TV said Monday, after the UAE blamed the Islamic republic for a drone strike at an energy installation in Fujairah.

Authorities in the emirate said the strike injured three Indian nationals who were taken to hospital. The UAE meanwhile said it had been targeted by a fresh Iranian barrage which it described as a "dangerous escalation", amid a ceasefire in the Middle East war.

W140 Full Story
Two injured after residential building in Oman targeted

Two people were injured when a residential building was targeted in Oman's Bukha along the coastline of the Strait of Hormuz, state media reported on Monday.

W140 Full Story
Israel says army on high alert after US downs Iran missiles

An Israeli military official said Monday that the army remained on high alert and was monitoring the situation after a U.S. admiral said forces destroyed six Iranian boats and shot down missiles.

W140 Full Story
Trump says 'no damage' in Hormuz, urges S. Korea to join mission

U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran had "taken some shots" but caused little harm in the Strait of Hormuz Monday, while urging South Korea to join the war after one of its vessels was hit.

W140 Full Story
US says destroyed six Iranian boats, downed missiles and drones

The United States has destroyed six Iranian boats and shot down missiles and drones fired at U.S. Navy and commercial vessels by Tehran's forces, a top U.S. admiral said Monday.

W140 Full Story
Iran resumes attacks on UAE

The UAE said Monday that its air defenses were dealing with Iranian missile and drone attacks, after saying that it previously intercepted three missiles over its territorial waters earlier in the day.

A drone strike meanwhile caused a fire at an energy installation in the emirate of Fujairah, authorities said.

W140 Full Story
Aoun says security deal with Israel must come before Netanyahu meeting

President Joseph Aoun said on Monday that a security deal and an end to Israeli attacks were needed before any meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, sought by Washington.

Aoun's office said in a statement that the president "reiterated his view that the timing is not appropriate now for a meeting" with Netanyahu, and quoted Aoun as saying: "We must first reach a security agreement and stop the Israeli attacks on us before we raise the issue of a meeting between us."

W140 Full Story
Israeli authorities ban Jewish pilgrimage near Lebanese border

Israeli police on Monday warned people not to defy the cancelation of a major pilgrimage near the border with Lebanon, scrapped because of hostilities with Hezbollah, while local media reported thousands had gathered at the site.

Fighting between Israeli forces and Hezbollah is ongoing in southern Lebanon despite a ceasefire in effect since mid-April.

W140 Full Story
Hezbollah clashes with Israeli troops in south Lebanon amid strikes and shelling

Hezbollah said its forces clashed with Israeli soldiers on Monday in south Lebanon near the border where its troops are still operating, despite a ceasefire since April 17.

Hezbollah in a statement said that after Israeli troops attempted to advance near the town of Deir Seryan -- which is inside the Israeli-declared "yellow line" where Lebanese residents have been told not to return -- its fighters "opened fire on the enemy force and engaged in heavy clashes with them".

W140 Full Story